Remote printing

Shin Kurokawa kur7 at tank.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 13 08:58:45 AEST 1990

Any suggestions on how I can make a 4D/220 to access the printer
that is physically connected to a BSD unix system on the
network? Here's what I've done so far...

I've created an account "lp" on the BSD unix machine. This
account's default directory is /usr/spool/printer_name_here, and
the default shell is /bogus_shell. This is one way the BSD
systems allow remote printing among themselves;and we've been
quite successful in doing so with several BSD machines trying to
print using the printer that's physically attached to a BSD
machine. Of course, the names of those machines which can print
using this printer are listed in /etc/hosts/lpd in the 'main'
BSD machine(the one with the printer on it). I put the name of
the SG 220 in there, restarted inetd, even rebooted the whole
thing, but what I get on the SG screen is an error message which
goes something like "/bogus_shell is not an available
printer..." I even tried putting the actual name of the printer
there (in the default shell field of the passwd file) and
surprisingly it says that it's not an available printer (even
though the same printer is actually an available printer, at
least from the BSD community! :-).

Since we just received the SG unit several weeks ago without any
manuals (we're still waiting for that!), I haven't been able to
RTFM. Please help me out, if you can. Thanks in advance!

Shin Kurokawa                           kur7 at tank.uchicago.edu
Physical Sciences Numerical Calculation Laboratory, University of Chicago
5640 S.Ellis Ave., Chicago, IL 60637 USA