Remote printing

usenet news poster usenet at nlm-mcs.arpa
Fri Apr 13 12:34:32 AEST 1990

In article <8448 at tank.uchicago.edu> kur7 at tank.uchicago.edu (Shin Kurokawa) writes:

>Any suggestions on how I can make a 4D/220 to access the printer
>that is physically connected to a BSD unix system on the
>network?

A real simple hack that can be set up easily is to create a shellscript file
with the following commands:

cat $1 | rsh PRINTER_HOST lpr

you need to have an account on the PRINTER_HOST machine and need to setup
a .rhosts file, but then you can print transparently.  It is very useful
when you are working on a remote system that is not particularly well
integrated with your own and want to be able to print locally.

David States