External clock for P-I serial port?

dale chayes dale at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu
Wed Dec 19 09:54:41 AEST 1990

In article <78445 at sgi.sgi.com>, vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:

> > I am wondering why you need an external clock?  gettimeofday() provides
> > time in micro-second.

	.
	lines deleted
	.

> Perhaps the originial question concerned an alternative to timed,

Actually, here is the original posting:

	From: chrisa at beldar.ma30.bull.com (Chris Anderson)
	Subject: External clock for P-I serial port?
	Date: 13 Dec 90 19:55:07 GMT

	Is it possible to provide an external clock for either or both of the
	serial ports on the personal Iris?

	The manuals indicate that ioctl can set an external clock mode,
	but the signal is undocumented. Is the clock signal a spare pin on the
	D connector, and if so, what should drive it?

	Thanks for any info.

	---Chris A.

It has nothing to do with time-of-day. I read this as a requst for
information about SYNCHRONOUS serial I/O through the supported serial ports.

In fact, Vernon, you answered the original question on December 16th with a
clear NO, and a reminder that the IOCTL EXTA/B are for two additional baud
rates.

I will be the first to thank you for helping us (the net community interested
in SIG issues) but converting a discussion about serial (async or not) i/o
into a timed/ntp/GOES time-of-day discussion to be a bit of a devolution.

Dale

--
Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964	dale at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu
voice:	(914) 359-2900 extension 434	fax: (914) 359-6817