Where does TERM get set for Telnet logins.

Russell J Fulton;ccc032u russell at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Mon Dec 17 14:43:30 AEST 1990

We are running an SGI 4D/240s with Irix 3.3.1.

Recently the default terminal type for telnet logins changed from vt220 to
wyse-50 and this has screwed up accounts who invoke tcsh as their login
shell. (tcsh uses the terminal type to recognise cursor keys and other
terminal features.) It would appear that tcsh uses the value of TERM that
was set when it was invoked and ignores changes to TERM thereafter ( as in the
.login file)

After a bit of hunting through man entries I find that login sets the TERM
variable from its environment. login is invoked by telnetd which will set the
TERM variable from information supplied by the client. The terminal emulator
we use (Based on ncsa telnet) does not set the terminal type. (This is to
be fixed soon!)

In the mean time I need a way of telling telnetd what the default terminal
type to use.

Can anybody Help!!

Cheers, Russell.
--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton at aukuni.ac.nz>