Statement of Direction - IRIX 4.0

arritt at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu arritt at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Thu Dec 13 03:42:22 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec8.160035.12417 at odin.corp.sgi.com>, karlton at sgi.com (Phil Karlton) writes:
> 		Statement of Direction - IRIX 4.0
>
> With release 4.0 of IRIX, SGI will be providing a native implementation
> of X11 Release 4, Motif 1.1 with an enhanced Motif window manager,
> Display PostScript, and the IRIS Graphics Library ...

[more stuff deleted...]

The graphics improvements will be great; however, numerical computations
also are important to some of us.  The "Statement of Direction" focused
completely on graphics, with no reference to computation.  Is this because
it is only part of a larger "Statement", or because SGI really doesn't
plan to do much with the numerical stuff?   (Yes, I know what the "G"
stands for in SGI ...)

If IRIX 4.0 will bring improvements to the numerical side of life, it would
be nice to have a corresponding "Statement of Direction" for customer
comments and suggestions.
Raymond W. Arritt                     |
Assistant Professor                   |
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy        |  "everyone knew that as time went
Univ. of Kansas                       |   by they'd get a little bit older
Lawrence, KS  66045                   |   and a little bit slower..."
arritt at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu             |
arritt at ukanvax.bitnet                 |