Statement of Direction - IRIX 4.0

Forest Baskett baskett at forest.asd.sgi.COM
Fri Dec 14 07:05:27 AEST 1990

While Jeff may not be able to see more than 6 or 8 bits per color
many of us can.  Our most sophisticated and demanding customers use
12 bits per color in some of their work and it is clear that 10 bit
DAC's would more fully cover the color spectrum that you can see
even on today's monitors.  I believe that systems will eventually
improve but it's hard to tell when.  Eight bits per color is very
well established economically and is tough to displace.

Forest Baskett
Silicon Graphics