Kernal Change Affecting f77 Compile?

Steve Dahmen smd at rehder.larc.nasa.gov
Tue Dec 4 04:09:32 AEST 1990

To accomodate special shared memory and semaphore requirements,
of a new piece of software,
we recently modified our kernal on our 4D/320 VGX.  This is the only
unusual change we made to the system (besides fixing a flickering
console).  A program that used to compile (with the default kernal),
no longer compiles.  I was hoping if anyone could offer a suggestion as to WHY?

CHANGES MADE TO KERNAL:

in file shm:
symbolname     old     new
SHMMNI		100 	4000
SHMSEG		  6	2000
SHMALL		512	4096

in file sem:
SEMMNI		 10      500
SEMMNS		 60     3000

COMPILE DATA:

f77 -g align16 -c exec1.f

Warning on line 1579 of exec1.f: branch to inner block, statement 140
    (included for completeness' sake... we didn't write the code :-)
ugen: internal: error in write, writing 1568 bytes instead of 8192 bytes
ugen: internal: error in write, writing 3120 bytes instead of 8192 bytes

According to our local kernal guru, the changes should not have
affected a compile.    This was verified as we successfully compiled
the code on another machine with a kernal modified exactly as above.
When we reset to the default kernal, again a successful compile with
no errors.

Since we don't need the shared memory extentions right away, there is
no urgency here; we'll just stick with the regular kernal; but perhaps
MIPS would be interested/knowledgeable about this error?

--
Steve Dahmen, Systems Analyst                         (804) 864-4519 (W)
Hampton, Virginia  23665                        smd at rehder.larc.nasa.gov