anon ftp config advice

Mike Gigante mg at
Tue Dec 4 13:20:55 AEST 1990

rxcob at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Owen Baker) writes:

>>How can I log what anonymous users are doing on my anon ftp account ?
>>I would like to keep stats on what people are taking (to justify
>>the popularity of my junk for my boss).

>Do a man on FTP. There is a debug option (-d I think) for when the daemon is
>started which logs all users and passwords and other stuff. The only problem
>this has is that it works for all FTP users, not just anonymous, so its not
>a very nice way of seeing everybodys passwords......

>+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
>|  Owen Baker                   |  Communication Services Unit              |
>|  rxcob at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au   |  RMIT - Victoria University of Technology |
>|  (61) (3) 660-2038            |  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia           |
>+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

Humbug!

Only anonymous FTP logs the passwd. It does so because the convention for
anonymous ftp is to use your login id as the passwd. Here is a excerpt from
my log.

As you can see it gives the passwd for ANONYMOUS ftp, but only the user id
for normal ftp users.

Nov 29 09:00:29 godzilla ftpd[13518]: connection from zingo.nec.com
Nov 29 09:00:36 godzilla ftpd[13518]: ANONYMOUS FTP login from zingo.nec.com, edna
Nov 29 14:12:01 godzilla ftpd[17127]: connection from koala.co.rmit.OZ.AU
Nov 29 14:12:05 godzilla ftpd[17127]: FTP login from koala.co.rmit.OZ.AU as idm

So in the above examples, the user edna at zingo.nec.com used anon FTP and
the user idm at koala.co.rmit.oz.au used normal user ftp.

You rely on the good faith of users (and sensibility) to use their real
user ids as passwd for ANON ftp.

I had one recent anon ftp session that used the passwd 'ident' (It does
say
	"331 Guest login ok, send ident as password."
:-)

Mike