PI Problems

"John R. Anderson", VLD/ASB jra at BRL.MIL
Fri Feb 23 01:05:48 AEST 1990

	I have recently encountered two problems with our P.I.'s:

	1. The other day, I changed the net addresses on our PI's, and
at the same time I happened to place a notice to the user's in /etc/motd.
Afterwards, "rcp" no longer worked correctly. I spent considerable time
checking and rechecking the addresses on all the machines. It was very
strange that I could do "rlogin", but not "rcp".  Finally, I removed the
notice from "/etc/motd", and amazingly, "rcp" started workin again.
Imagine how frustrated one must be for "rcp doesn't work, so I'll empty
/etc/motd" to seem reasonable.  My question is: How can I post a notice
to users of a PI without breaking "rcp"???

	2.  We would like users without "root" priviledges to be able to
do "shutdown".  I assigned different passwords to the "root" and "sysadm"
accounts.  When executing "System Shutdown" from the "System" menu, it
requests the "System Administrator" password.  I took that to mean the
"sysadm" account, but in fact it will only accept the "root" password.
Is there a way to enable users without the "root" password to perform
a shutdown???

				Thanks,
				-John