PI Problems

Tony Facca fsfacca at AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV
Fri Feb 23 03:32:58 AEST 1990

"John R. Anderson" (VLD/ASB) <jra at BRL.MIL> writes:

> 	I have recently encountered two problems with our P.I.'s:
>
>       [ very strange rcp question deleted ]
>
> 	2.  We would like users without "root" priviledges to be able to
> do "shutdown".  I assigned different passwords to the "root" and "sysadm"
> accounts.  When executing "System Shutdown" from the "System" menu, it
> requests the "System Administrator" password.  I took that to mean the
> "sysadm" account, but in fact it will only accept the "root" password.
> Is there a way to enable users without the "root" password to perform
> a shutdown???

How about a line like:

   shutdown::0:0:shutdown the system:/:/etc/shutdown

in your /etc/passwd file.  you can password protect the shutdown id so that
only selected users can do this.  actually, reboot would probably be a better
program to use if security is an issue as its not interactive.

--
..ahead, warp factor...two
- - - - -------======<<<<<{{{{{{[[[[[[ TONY FACCA  fsfacca at avelon.lerc.nasa.gov
"Its hard to work in groups -- especially when you're omnipotent"  --Q