Use of snoop(7P)

Jack Weldon jweldon at renegade.sgi.com
Fri Feb 9 05:59:38 AEST 1990

In article <739 at alias.UUCP> mark at alias.UUCP (Mark Andrews) writes:

>I have been playing with the snoop(7P) protocol on a variety of
>
>When the program attempts to add the snoopfilter to the socket, the ioctl()
>fails with the error ``Invalid argument'' and the following message appears
>on the console of the machine (4D/80S in this case):
>
>	enp0: promisc. mode failed: no firmware support
>
>Is this going to be fixed on a future release ? I was hoping to use some
>of the above code to port tcpdump to Irix.

If your system is under a support contract, contact the Geometry Hotline
and request that the newer PROMS be installed in your 4D{50,60,70,80}.
These PROMS support both snoop and 4DDN protocols. The information is
contained in FB 87 (Field Bulletin 87). This is only required in CMC (enpX)
boards found in the above machines.  Neither the PI or the GTX series
requires this type of upgrade--the newer PROM support is already installed.
If you are curious as to whether your machine has the newer PROM installed,
run 'hinv' from a shell. The correct output will show version 4 (SGI) PROMS:

CMC ENP-10 Ethernet controller 0, firmware version 4 (SGI)

Before all of the readers of this newsgroup go and call for PROM upgrades,
please realize that this is not required for normal ethernet operation, but
is required for snoop or 4DDN use.  Future tools based on snoop may also
require the upgrade, which will be fully documented in Release Notes if it
IS required.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jack P. Weldon (jweldon at sgi.com)     Fish and guests grow stale after 3 days
SGI Product Support		                           M.F.K. Fisher