interfacing a PC to a 4D machine

Bob Funchess S090726 at UMRVMA.UMR.EDU
Thu Feb 15 11:50:59 AEST 1990

The information you need to connect your PC to one of the serial ports on
the Iris is located in the owner's manual (of all places...) which is the
one that looks different from all the rest, or the ONLY one you get if you
don't buy the development system (or so I have heard).  It's towards the back.
Essentially you need a null modem cable to physically connect the computers,
then set up /etc/inittab properly (documented in the manual), at which point
you should be all set up for file transfer (use Kermit, it's free for both
machines and has worked well for us... MS-Kermit also is a terminal emulation
package).  9600 baud works fine, I don't think 19200 does, but I could be
wrong about that.  HOWEVER... trying to back up a file system over this is
going to be an overnight affair at 9600 baud, even if you're only filling one
Bernoulli cartridge.  40 MB will take approximately 8 hours at 9600 baud,
ignoring protocol overhead. :(

                             < Bob | S090726 at UMRVMA.UMR.EDU | Funchess >
                                    University of Missouri - Rolla
Be reasonable:  if the university shared my opinions, would I have an ID
like S090726 ???