Help with GNU Emacs for SGI

James Helman jim at baroque.Stanford.EDU
Thu Feb 15 11:58:59 AEST 1990

If you really want to make GNU emacs slick and useful, compile it with
the X11 support.  You'll need to order the X developer's kit, because
SGI (unfortunately) unbundled the X include files and libraries from
IRIX.  Or try using the X11R4 libraries and clients.  (I have not
tried these with GNU emacs, but it should work.)  Don't be discouraged
by the extra effort.  Having mouse bindings and meta-keys is well
worth the hassle of ordering the kit.

I also understand that a similar package is available for GNU emacs
which allows it to directly use NeWS, but I know next to nothing about
it.

As for your real question.  I don't know enough about wsh's terminal
emulation to comment, but I suspect getting mouse events is next to
impossible.  However, if the function keys generate escape codes, it
shouldn't be too hard to hack up an existing "term" file to produce
some useful binding.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			P.O. Box 10494
Stanford University				Stanford, CA 94309
(jim at thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-4940