just installed a PI

Steven H. Izen izen at amelia.nas.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 5 17:47:11 AEST 1990

I just took delivery of a 4D/25 today.  My reaction in one word:  WOW!

I was extremely impressed by the documentation (quantity-I haven't had the time
to judge quality yet) and by the speed and willingness to help which I
experienced when dealing with the SGI hotline.  Of course, I'm used to the
lousy 386/ix documentation and the incompetent excuse for user support coming
out of Hollis, NH for 386/ix, so perhaps anything would look better.

Now for the question:

My system was supposed to have been shipped with the turbo graphics upgrade,
but wasn't.  My salesman mumbled something about a hardware bug on the turbo
upgrade board and that shipments have been halted until it's fixed.  He could
not provide a date.  So, to anyone out htere, especially the SGI people who
read this group, What's the real scoop?  Was there in fact a hardware bug?  Or
is it just a production delay? (Sorry if I sound cynical, I've been mislead by
Hollis, NH people too many times before...)  Is there any (off the record if
that makes you more comfortable) date on when the turbo graphics upgrade will
start shipping again?

		Thanx,

Steve Izen

--
Steve Izen: {sun,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!izen386!steve  / Quote corner:
or steve%izen386.uucp at skybridge.scl.cwru.edu          /