just installed a PI

D. Christopher Dunlap dunlap at bigboote.sgi.com
Sat Jan 6 03:48:50 AEST 1990

In article <6003 at alvin.mcnc.org> spl at mcnc.org.UUCP (Steve Lamont) writes:
>In article <4411 at amelia.nas.nasa.gov> izen at cwru.cwru.edu (Steven H. Izen) writes:
>>I just took delivery of a 4D/25 today.  My reaction in one word:  WOW!
>>
>>I was extremely impressed by the documentation (quantity-I haven't had the time
>>to judge quality yet) ...
>
>Huh?  All we got was one funky little User's Manual with our 4D/20.  The
>fellow that set it up had problems getting it on the network because there was
>not sufficient information -- spent a lot of time on the hotline and on the
>phone with the salesperson, ferreting out documentation.

If you just buy the PI, then you just get the Owner's Manual. If you
get the Development System (C compiler and stuff) then you get a big
bunch of Doc.

There's also a "System Administrator's Manual Set" which includes
lots of the system admin and network admin doc, without all the
compiler stuff and graphics library stuff.

The theory here is basically that all this  doc is expensive, and most
PI customers buy multiple systems, so they really don't want a full set
of manuals for every one of those systems.

>Good little box, though.

We think so...  ;-}

>							spl (the p stands for
>							Personal Iris?  My
>							*other* computer is a
>							Cray...)
>--
>Steve Lamont, sciViGuy	(919) 248-1120		EMail:	spl at ncsc.org
>NCSC, Box 12732, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
>"That's People's Commissioner Tirebiter -- and NOBODY'S sweetheart!"
>					- F. Scott Firesign

D. Christopher Dunlap  		Product Support
				Customer Support Division
email: dunlap at sgi.sgi.com	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems