Problems installing news

russell at CCU1.AUKUNI.AC.NZ russell at CCU1.AUKUNI.AC.NZ
Mon Jul 9 10:27:47 AEST 1990

I am trying to install news software version 2.11 on an 4D/240S running 3.2.2.

I used the USG option and did a make then a make install as in the installation
instructions. I then did a make update which warned me that some news groups
needed to be flagged as moderated and produce a script to perform the updates.
The script used inews -C to perform the modifications but the script failed
with 'memory error' on each invocation of inews. When I tried typing the
commands by hand I got a segmentation fault in inews.

Can anybody give any suggestions as to what is wrong, or perhaps send me their
localize file that was used to customise news at their site.

I also tried a trick I have used on other software, tell the make file to
use BSD options and add -I/usr/include/bsd -lbsd to the cc options. This failed
to find sys/timeb.h.

Cheers Russell.