tomac.c

James D. Meiss jdm at boulder.Colorado.EDU
Tue Jul 24 08:06:12 AEST 1990

	We are trying to use Paul Haeberli's great set of
programs to convert image files to files which we can read and edit on
our Macintoshes. I've got togiff working, and successfully got
gif files on the Mac,unfortunately the Giffer program on the mac
doesn't print, and you can't edit the files.
I've tried totiff, and it may work, but I
found out that my Mac program (Aldus Freehand) only read
black and white tiff files, and the one I've created has color
information.
	The program that seems most useful is "tomac" which is
supposed to create a MacPaint file. Problem is I'm not sure how to
use it. MacPaint files are not text files, and have to have there
"Creator" and "Type" fields set properly. When I try to down load
the file created by tomac, and set its "Creator", it causes "ResEdit"
to crash. Sometimes I can get these set properly, and some of the time
the file can then be opened by macpaint.
	What would be nice would be to have the file created in
macbinary format, so that the resource and data forks were on the Iris,
and could be downloaded as a true MacPaint file to the Macintosh. Does
anyone know how to do this?
	Perhaps I'm not using "tomac" properly.

	Jim