workspace shell sdtout

Betsy Zeller betsy at vesuvius.esd.sgi.com
Fri Jul 13 03:52:53 AEST 1990

In article <9007100212.AA02012 at mcirps2.med.nyu.edu> dean at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:

>when workspace is started in a login or user.ps, all stderr and stdout
>is lost.(or goes somplace I don't know about right now).
>
>I have to start it in a shell to capture the error output from the cmd open
>and other rules that involve shells.
>
>This property is sub-optimal.

The preferred method of having workspace start up when you log in is to
use the system manager, open the user tool, select the users icon, and
set workspace 'on' in the appropriate spot (by selecting a button).
This will ensure that workspace starts up whenever that user logs on. When
workspace is started via this mechanism, these errors  go to the
console window, which is preferable to having them disappear into
hyperspace.

Hope this helps.
Betsy Zeller
betsy at sgi.com