Problems with Installing IRIX from Remote tape

Kevin Gurney keving at gaffa.sgi.com
Wed Jul 18 05:04:07 AEST 1990

In article <1507 at sdrc.UUCP> cryun at sdrc.UUCP (Yun-Seng Chao) writes:

>Hi gang!

>I've been trying to get a "tapeless" machine to boot from another machine which
>has a tape drive I can use.  I followed the manual's instruction and first
>did a "setenv netaddr <address>" and "setenv tapedevice bootp()sgia:/dev/tape",
>then "boot -f $tapedevice(sash.IP4) --m".  Unfortunately, all I get back is a
>"No server for sgia:/dev/tape(sash.IP4)" message.

At SGI we do the majority of our installations from remote sources also
and every time that someone has called me with this error it's been traced back
to the fact that netaddr was set incorrectly in the proms. If I were you I'd
doublecheck the <address> that you think your machine is. Assuming you didn't
make a typing mistake, perhaps the source of your information is wrong.

Just offering my advice based on years of seeing this problem.
----
"Is it hot in here?"
keving at gaffa.wpd.sgi.com