Problems with Installing IRIX from Remote tape

Yun-Seng Chao cryun at sdrc.UUCP
Tue Jul 17 00:09:01 AEST 1990

Hi gang!

I've been trying to get a "tapeless" machine to boot from another machine which
has a tape drive I can use.  I followed the manual's instruction and first
did a "setenv netaddr <address>" and "setenv tapedevice bootp()sgia:/dev/tape",
then "boot -f $tapedevice(sash.IP4) --m".  Unfortunately, all I get back is a
"No server for sgia:/dev/tape(sash.IP4)" message.

On sgia, the inetd.conf entry for bootp is "bootp -d", and tftp entry is
"tftp /usr/local/boot".  Of course /usr/local/boot doesn't exist, but I don't
think we even got that far.  We took a look at the data packets from sgia and
they were SUN RPC Portmap requests, even though the address is in /etc/hosts!

This has both me and the SGI hotline stumped ...  Please email responses, since
I don't always get a chance to read news everyday.

Thanks in advance!
Yun Chao