/debug not mounted....

Wiltse Carpenter wiltse at oceana.esd.sgi.com
Tue Jul 3 04:15:22 AEST 1990

In article <430 at texhrc.UUCP>, mjz at texhrc.UUCP (Michael Zeitlin) writes:

>     dbx can't find /debug....apparently it isnt mounted...
>     i've never run across this before and am not sure how to
>     proceed.....
>
>     eoe1 and eoe2 are loaded and installed properly....
>     what else is there???

You may have one of the following problems:

1. dev option not installed
	Use the versions command to see what is installed:

		versions -vI

	should show dev.sw.cc installed.  The fact that you have
	dbx indicates that this not likely to be the problem.

2. /debug directory has been rmdir'd
	If it is gone, just mkdir it and reboot.

3. dbg filesystem not properly configured in the kernel.
	Make sure the files I mentioned above are present.
	If not, I would re-install the dev option.

Background:

To run dbx, you need to install the dev option tape along with eoe1 and eoe2.
During the installation of the dev option, the directory /debug is created as
a mount point for the /debug pseudo-filesystem.  Along with dbx and many other
files, the dev option includes the kernel support for the debugger,
/usr/sysgen/boot/dbg.o and /usr/sysgen/master.d/dbg.  When you exit the
installation tool, it should re-configure the kernel to include this module.
When you re-boot, the startup code in /etc/init.d/MOUNTFSYS checks to see
whether or not you have a /debug directory, and if so, mounts /debug.

	-Wiltse