Environment variables in Workspace

Betsy Zeller betsy at vesuvius.esd.sgi.com
Wed Jul 18 08:02:46 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul17.035542.9411 at zoo.toronto.edu> martin at zoo.toronto.edu (Martin Hofmann) writes:
>The default setup on our system is for Workspace to run at login time.
>It appears that Workspace is run before .cshrc and thus all environment
>variables that are set in .cshrc are ignored by Workspace.  In particular
>WINEDITOR is set to vi in .cshrc but Workspace still uses jot and a
>program that tests for terminal type receives 'unknown' instead of 'iris-ansi'
>Is there any way (other than running Workspace after login) to get Workspace
>to use the environment variables at login time?  I do not want to depend on
>running Workspace after login because other users may want to use the
>application that depends on terminal from their Workspace started at login.

If you run the User Tool from the System Administration tool, open the
icon representing your account, and set WorkSpace 'on' by clicking that button,
WorkSpace will automatically start up each time you start up the system.
Both your .login and .cshrc variables will be exported to the NeWS
environment before WorkSpace is started.

Thus, I can setenv EDITOR /usr/bin/vi in my .cshrc, and get the editor
I expect (vi) when I double click or open a text file. Also, though this
may have been a typo in the original message, you probably want to use the
EDITOR environment variable to set up vi, because is intended for editors
which don't invoke their own windows. WINEDITOR expects its editor
to start its own window.

Betsy Zeller
betsy at sgi.com