lmcolor and lighting a surface with a scalar field

Thant Tessman thant at horus.esd.sgi.com
Thu Jul 26 02:11:42 AEST 1990

In article <2042 at sparko.gwu.edu>, favre at seas.gwu.edu (Jean M. Favre) writes:

> The problem is that BOTH sides of the surface are shaded because the
material
> properties are modified.
>
> What I want is the side facing away from the normals to be shaded with a
> uniform gray color so that I can easily distinguish the inside and outside
> of the surface.

You can use backface(TRUE) if you are careful about the order
you specify the vertices.

Turn on backface, and draw the lit object with the vertices defined
counter-clockwise.  Only polygons facing the eye will be drawn.  Then
turn off lighting and specify a grey color and draw a version of the
object with the vertices clockwise to draw only the polygons
facing away from the eye.

On the VGX you can specify two sided polygons using lmdef and lmbind.

thant