VGX Upgrades

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Mon Jul 23 17:30:55 AEST 1990

In article <9007181756.AA22522 at trouble.cs.nps.navy.mil>, zyda at trouble.cs.nps.navy.mil (michael zyda) writes:

> Warning on the Purchase of VGX Upgrades:
>
>      When the VGX upgrade to the GTX system was announced, I asked
> my salesman for a quote and some information on that upgrade.
> He stated to me at that time that the upgrade was for "any
> GTX" system. In fact, the quote I received from him states
>
>      "Upgrade from GTX graphics to PowerVision graphics".
>
>      Last week the VGX upgrade rolled in. It is scheduled
> for installation on our 4D/120 GTX system.
>
>      The salesman called me last night to say that VGX upgrades
> do not work on 120 GTX systems. He says that we have to

- Happened to worry us , too. Apparently, the 120 is going to be
a dead end street. I'm afraid we need to go with the time and have
some money set aside occasionally to get a 220 instead. In the meanwhile,
try to get around with your SGI reps not to push you. To be honest,
I'm afraid that the 120 has been the 'try first' multiprocessor which
has been outdated by the 3000 cpus.

- Reinhard