IRIS console - how do servers work ?

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Tue Jul 24 05:40:28 AEST 1990

Baker) writes:
> [...]
|> |
|> | Pointers welcome- how do the servers work? There might be a hint to fool
|> | the graphics console if one knew how the server configureations
|> | address the problem.
|> |

The servers run with a serial console from boot-up so what they do isn't
likely to help Owen.  Actually the PROM's detect the absence of graphics and
set their "console" environment variable to "d".

|> Its really quite simple.  There is an environment variable in the PROM
|> called "console".  It can have any of several values, usually "G" (for
|> graphics).  However, if it is set to "d" (debug), the console is switched
|> to serial port 0.  The console variable can be set from either the PROM
|> monitor or with the 'nvram' command.

You haven't answered Owen's question either.

	|> "I mean when the system is up not just when booting."

I don't think there is a way to change the console to a serial device without
rebooting the system.  Many things are set during bootup depending on the
value of "console".
--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"There is much virtue in a window.  It is to a human being as a frame is to
a painting, as a proscenium to a play.  It strongly defines its content."