IRIS console - how do servers work ?

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Tue Jul 24 21:20:24 AEST 1990

> The servers run with a serial console from boot-up so what they do isn't
> likely to help Owen.  Actually the PROM's detect the absence of graphics and
> set their "console" environment variable to "d".
>
> I don't think there is a way to change the console to a serial device without
> rebooting the system.  Many things are set during bootup depending on the
> value of "console".
> --
> From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
> msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
> "There is much virtue in a window.  It is to a human being as a frame is to
> a painting, as a proscenium to a play.  It strongly defines its content."

-  too bad, but thanks for replies anyway. I imagined that it might be
possible to set the links to some /dev/syscon in a way that the serial port is
addressed as if it were a real device. Unfortunately, setting the console
to serial in the PROM results in lack of console capabilities, e.g., the
console is no longer accessible directly and the window manager needs
to be started in a special way.

Regards,
Reinhard