Problem with -pfa option in f77 compile command

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Tue Jul 31 17:27:32 AEST 1990

In article <8450.26b44961 at rsmas.miami.edu>, miller at rsmas.miami.edu writes:
> Problem with the F77 compiler when -pfa option is used:
..
> f77 -O3 -Olimit 1200 -o programname programname.f
>
> but generates a "Fatal error in: /usr/lib/fcom - core dumped. Signal 139" if I
> add the -pfa option to the above, viz.,
..

> Where can I find out what "signal 139" means? Anybody else had this problem?
> Any suggestions?

I get the same problem on an SGI 120 running 3.3 while trying to compile
the ray tracer (E.Merritt) posted in this group recently. Mine dies in the
compilation if specified

f77 -O2 -Olimit 1400 program.f object.o 4Dgifts/iristools/limimage/libimage.a

Fatal error in /usr/lib/uopt - core dumped
Signal 139 *** Error code 1

The two errors don't need to be related. As far as I got informed, SGI
knows that the highest bit is accidentially set and 139 is just 139 - 128
= 11 (segmentation violation) SIGSEV.

Regards
Reinhard