SLIP for IRIX ???

Jack P. Weldon jweldon at renegade.sgi.com
Thu Jul 19 10:36:57 AEST 1990

In article <9007132225.AA11860 at mcirps2.med.nyu.edu> root at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:

>I am interested in moving my iris to my apartment, accross the street
>from the medical center, but I don't want to give up my network connection.
>
>Is there a version of serial tcp, as I understand, called SLIP
>known to run on an iris ?. I want to put it a pair of wires to home,
>and run a serial connection at 56,000 baud sync (with some old modems here)
>between my home iris and power server at the lab.

Well, if you want to try to configure SLIP with "unknown quality" modems
(no slur intended) but you may be in for a ride. My suggestion is that
you could setup SLIP with a couple of good Hayes 2400s/Hayes-compatibles
(must be *good compatibility) or get a couple of Telebit T2500s. You can
get them through UUNET at pretty good prices.

If it were my choice, I'd go with the Telebit T2500. The fix-hayes and
fix-telebit scripts to setup the modems are included in the uucp subsystem.

Here is a copy of a posting from another (unknown) newsgroup that I saved.
Compare these prices with those from your local sources:

>Effective June 18, 1990 (when we get back from USENIX) "UUNET" will
>sell modems to the general public in addition to its members. Modem
>sales will be through the related for profit "UUNET Technologies, Inc".
>(The for profit corporation is needed for non-member sales).
>
>The prices for both members and non-members will be:
        T1000   $529
        T1500   $729
        Plus    $765
        T2000   $799
        T2500   $899

>Note that a T2000 is NOT a plus. Its a Plus with SDLC support.
>
>Sales to non members require prepayment or COD. Everything is in
>stock except for the T2000, which no one as ever ordered from us.
>Non stock items generally ship within 30 days of order.
>
>We charge $10 shipping per modem.
>
>UUNET Technologies, Inc.
>3110 Fairview Park Drive, Suite 570
>Falls Church, VA 22042 USA