workspace comments

Betsy Zeller betsy at vesuvius.esd.sgi.com
Tue Jul 10 04:38:22 AEST 1990

In article <9007091749.AA27450 at mcirps2.med.nyu.edu> karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:

>1) Workspace whould not fire up when you log in from a tty line even if
>it is in your profile. How can I check in my .login script that 1) it it
>is not running already ? or 2) That I am not connected to a window server ?.

This is just a subset of the problem you have when you normally start up
on the monitor, but sometimes login from a tty line. Given that (in the
case of WorkSpace), the tool is available from the System chest, you might
want to remove the requests to start up WorkSpace automatically, and just
start it up when you want it.

>If you kill workspace (for various reasons) and reopen a wsh window,
>how can you keep it from restarting ?.

If you do want to start up WorkSpace when you login to the system, the best
way to do it is to set 'Workspace On' from the User tool in the System
Adminstrator. (Choose System manager from the System tool chest, open the
User tool, select the icon which represents your account, open it, and select
the 'On' button beside WorkSpace.) This will start it when you first login,
but doesn't tie the request to each time you execute your .login or .profile,
or whatever.

Betsy Zeller
betsy at sgi.com