Help in anonymous ftp setup needed.

Andrew Cherenson arc at thyme.wpd.sgi.com
Tue Jul 31 05:15:22 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul29.200517.845 at urz.unibas.ch> doelz at urz.unibas.ch writes:
>Details:
>I want to set up a anonymous ftp account with logging and
>timeouts enabled. man pages says that ftpd is started according
>to the entries in inetd.conf. My entry there looks as follows:
>
>ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/etc/ftpd ftp -l -d -t 2 -T 10

Note that ftpd(1M) man page says the values for the timeout options are
interpreted as seconds, not minutes.  A 2 second inactivity timeout is
a bit brutal...

>.. but the damned ftp does not do any logging to the syslog.
>AHA, it is the syslog which needs to be configured.

The default /etc/syslog.conf will log ftpd messages. It's important to
use the 3.3 version, which is installed as /etc/syslog.conf.N.

> So I wrote a syslog.conf:
>
>*.debug; *.emerg; *.warning; *.err; *.notice; *.info /usr/adm/logfile
>
>and still, nothing happens.

The syntax for /etc/syslog.conf is tricky: a tab must separate
the facilities list (*.debug, et al.) from the output filename.
Also, *.debug selects debug level and above, hence don't include the
"*.emerg; *.warning; *.err; *.notice; *.info" fields.

>Further, I want to set up the ftp in a way that it automatically
>uses ASCII mode, and reports a file which I define.
>Funny enough, it currently starts up in BINARY

Currently there's no way to disable auto-BINARY mode nor to specify
a different filename.

> and reports a README file in the ~/ftp directory without being asked for...

The ftpd(1M) man page does mention that README will be printed if it exists
in an anonymous or restricted account's directory.

>Is there any further help I might have missed than in man pages
>of ftp, syslog, inetd, or elsewhere ?

After changing /usr/etc/inetd.conf, did you send the SIGHUP signal to inetd
to tell it to reread inetd.conf? Do "killall 1 inetd" as root.
The same applies to syslogd when changing /etc/syslog.conf.