Help in anonymous ftp setup needed.

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Mon Jul 30 05:05:17 AEST 1990

Hi all,

I need some help to set up anonymous ftp on an 120 running 3.3.
Any help, detailed info etc. highly appreciated.

Details:
I want to set up a anonymous ftp account with logging and
timeouts enabled. man pages says that ftpd is started according
to the entries in inetd.conf. My entry there looks as follows:

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/etc/ftpd ftp -l -d -t 2 -T 10

.. but the damned ftp does not do any logging to the syslog.
AHA, it is the syslog which needs to be configured. So I wrote a
syslog.conf:

*.debug; *.emerg; *.warning; *.err; *.notice; *.info /usr/adm/logfile

and still, nothing happens.

Further, I want to set up the ftp in a way that it automatically
uses ASCII mode, and reports a file which I define.
Funny enough, it currently starts up in BINARY and reports a README file in
the ~/ftp directory without being asked for...

Is there any further help I might have missed than in man pages
of ftp, syslog, inetd, or elsewhere ?

Regards,
Reinhard