Need help inputting Float #'s

Michael Hart hart at blackjack.dt.navy.mil
Tue Jul 17 23:26:46 AEST 1990

Yes, this is probably a stupid, obvious (RTFM)
question to all you C geniuses, but, I have
RTFM and the FM is not very explicit.  What
a surprise.

I am trying to input a floating point number into
my prog, in the format nnnnnn.mm .  Using the following
code, I see that it is reading the correct number
of chars, but apparantly either is not storing them
the way I want, or just not printing them out.

Please respond via E-mail; that way I won't get too
many flames for this question.

BTW,
#define SYSTEM	SGI4D/25
#define OS	3.2.1

thanx

code follows:
=======================================
#include <stdio.h>
float   *number;
char    *buffer[80];
int     *c1;

main()
{
        printf("Please enter a number with a decimal point :  ");
        gets(buffer);
        printf("\n");
        sscanf(buffer,"%f%n",&number,&c1);
        printf("(debug: num of chars read was : %d)\n",c1);
        printf("\n");
        printf("\n\n\nThe data as entered:\n");
        printf("decimal number : %#6.2f\n",number);
        printf("\n");
}

Michael G. Hart   hart at blackjack.dt.navy.mil /  mhart at dtrc.dt.navy.mil
DTRC/DoD			  |  "Wherever you go, there you are."- me
DISCLAIMER: If you want the Navy's opinion, talk to Secretary Cheney.
Michael G. Hart   hart at blackjack.dt.navy.mil /  mhart at dtrc.dt.navy.mil