noport() and killing windows.

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Tue Nov 27 05:49:06 AEST 1990

In article <3961 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, merritt at iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (John H Merritt) writes:
|> In article <9011200320.AA26948 at karron.med.nyu.edu> karron%CMCL2.NYU.EDU at cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
|> >2) REDRAW event should be queued when the window opens. I queue a REDRAW
|>
|> int my_winopen(char *name)
|> {
|>    id =winopen(name);
|>    qdevice(REDRAW);
|>    return(id);
|> }

This wrapper is completely unnecessary. winopen already does a qdevice(REDRAW).
The man page even tells you so.  I don't think Karron is that dumb (you do RTFM don't you Dan).  I think what he's asking for is for a REDRAW event to be put
in the queue when the window is first mapped.  I happen to think it's a good
idea but it's never likely to happen because of the compatibility problems
it would cause. Besides it's not a big deal to type the statement

	qenter(REDRAW);

I tried to reply privately to Karron but my mail was bounced somewhere.  I was
curious to know why he wanted a main process and loop with a noport() window.
noport() was intended for things like scrsave and loading the colormaps. It's
basically a hack because the only way to initialize the Graphics Library and
get access to the graphics hardware is through winopen which has the
horrid (in some circumstances) side effect of creating and mapping a window.
There will be another way to initialize the GL in the next major software
release.

--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"Spirits of genius are always opposed by mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein