noport() and killing windows.

John H Merritt merritt at iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 21 02:17:06 AEST 1990

In article <9011200320.AA26948 at karron.med.nyu.edu> karron%CMCL2.NYU.EDU at cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

>This is my observation of some window behavior that should be fixed.
Then, open your eyes!
I would not like to see any of the mods you mention
implimented as the default.  It is trivial for you
to write a wrapping library of functions to effect

>2) REDRAW event should be queued when the window opens. I queue a REDRAW

your suggestions.  For example (in close C),

int my_winopen(char *name)
{
   id =winopen(name);
   qdevice(REDRAW);
   return(id);
}

>It is not a problem, but if you guys did this in the window system, then
>we applications people would not have to do odd things or
>add code to make up for these properties.
>
>1) Killing secondary windows spawned from a noport() window.
>
>If you hit the zap icon in the upper right corner of the 4sight standard
>window, the actual parent process that spawned the window will not be killed
>until you kill the parent window.
A similiar *accounting* of windows can be kept if you want the *last*
opened window to ZAP everything, and it can be done with a few lines
of code which records the PID's of all the spawned programs (windows)
and sends a kill to every process when the last window dies.
Adding special cases to an already nice implimentation will complicate
it; it will die under its own weight.
John H. Merritt --> merritt at iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov
Applied Research Corporation at NASA/GSFC
"Yesterday I knew nothing, today I know that."