Running XDM for NCD-Xterminals under IRIX 3.3.1

mosh at TAURUS.BITNET mosh at TAURUS.BITNET
Mon Nov 19 19:20:54 AEST 1990

Hello Netlanders,

    I am running IRIX 3.3.1 on 4D-25S. The machine is a server for about 20
    Xterminals.

    Release 3.3.1 of IRIX have X11R4 which means that the xdm client supports
    the XDMCP. I am trying to connect an NCD X-19 terminal which runs version
    2.2.1 of NCD's X-server. This version also supports the XDMCP protocol
    according to NCD's documentation.

    The problem is that the xdm program doesn't open a login window on the
    X-terminal. Using etherfind (I have a sun machine connected to the same
    net) I can see that the X-terminal does a broadcast on the net and that
    xdm is listening to port 177 as it should, but for some reason there is no
    conversation between them. (The usual way with Xservers file works fine).

    Has anybody succeeded in connecting this (or other) X-terminal with IRIX?
    Am I missing some configuration flag? Is it a software problem with IRIX's
    version of X (I know it works under SUN-OS)?

    You can mail me directly or to the net. I read this newsgroup regullary.

                                                        Moshe Shemesh