Running XDM for NCD-Xterminals under IRIX 3.3.1

C. Harald Koch chk at alias.UUCP
Sat Nov 24 08:51:27 AEST 1990

In <2353 at taurus.BITNET> mosh at TAURUS.BITNET writes:

>    I can see that the X-terminal does a broadcast on the net and that
>    xdm is listening to port 177 as it should, but for some reason there is no
>    conversation between them. (The usual way with Xservers file works fine).

>    Has anybody succeeded in connecting this (or other) X-terminal with IRIX?

Yes.

>    Am I missing some configuration flag? Is it a software problem with IRIX's
>    version of X (I know it works under SUN-OS)?

The XDM code as distributed from MIT for System V based machines, creates
the socket for listening to XDMCP requests, but then ignores the socket
completely.

If you have the X11R4 source tree, then you can kludge a solution which
enables the XDMCP support, but at the expense of disabling support for
terminals in the /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file.

The real fix for System V machines requires a large re-write, because the
xdm program relies heavily on BSD signal semantics.

I have reported this bug to SGI, but haven't heard back from my contacts
there. If you have source and want my patches, send me mail!

--
C. Harald Koch  VE3TLA                Alias Research, Inc., Toronto ON Canada
chk%alias at csri.utoronto.ca      chk at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu      chk at chk.mef.org