printer half working. Need help!

Claude.P.Cantin at NRC.CA Claude.P.Cantin at NRC.CA
Wed Nov 21 03:35:44 AEST 1990

This is a printer question.

I am trying to connect a DECwriter (yes those 15 year-old teletype things)
to a 4D/280S, on port /dev/ttyd56.  The printer type I am using is "dumb".
BANNER is set to 0.  STTYPARAMS has be set to "ixon ixoff", "sane",
"-ixany ixon ixoff", and many others, but the same thing happens:

Here is the problem:  when sending a file to the printer, only the first
8 or 9 lines are printed.  The rest is ignored (i.e. not printed).

THIS IS NOT RELATED TO THE DECWRITER since a HP Laserjet III, AND a
VT220 terminal show EXACTLY the same symptoms.

It looks as if the SGI sends only about 255 characters.  The cable used
is a null modem cable (pins 2 and 3 cross-wired).

Could someone point me in the right direction????  Has this happen to
anyone else???   What am I doing wrong????

Here is the commands I used to enable the printer:

   /usr/lib/lpshut
   /usr/lib/lpadmin -pdecwriter -mdumb -v/dev/ttyd56  (also tried ttyf56)
   /usr/lib/accept decwriter
   enable decwriter
   /usr/lib/lpsched

Any suggestions???