How is one informed of a tidy-icon event?

Tom Mackey tomm at uucp
Thu Nov 1 04:12:03 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct30.234824.109 at odin.corp.sgi.com> msc at sgi.com writes:
>In article <496 at voodoo.UUCP>, tomm at voodoo.voodoo.uucp (Tom Mackey) writes:
>|> Here's the problem and question:  If you run it so as to get
>|> several windows, and then "iconify" some of them, either by
>|> selecting the 'Stow' menu entry or by clicking on the stow window
>|> border button, and then try to tidy them either by selecting the
>|> 'Tidy' icon menu entry or the 'Tidy Icons' menu entry from the
>|> Windows toolchest, the iconified window is put in a strange state.

>This sounds like it might be a bug.  You should be receiving a REDRAWICONIC
>since you've queued that event.  There is no special tidy icon event.

I agree; and double-checked: no REDRAWICONIC event is received when
I request a "Tidy."  BTW, the square clock that iconifies to a working
clock exhibits the same behavior, while the round and modern clocks
which iconify to a "standard" shaded blue icon work correctly.  It
almost seems as if I need to link some special C-code with the PostScript
code that handles iconification, or some special PostScript code with
my function that redraws the icon.  Or, as you mention, it might be
a (GASP) bug!  All in all, this is the first time I have dealt with
window events at this level and am really enjoying it.  I can imagine
that a NeWS and GL hybrid would be capable of some way cool stuff.
I just hope we don't lose too much when we all sink to the LCD of X!

    (Thats Lowest Common Denominator, BTW)

>|> And another thing:  If I close multiwin window by window, all but
>|> the last get a WINSHUT as expected, but the last close generates a
>|> WINQUIT instead!  Pretty neat, but how do it know???
>
>The window server (NeWS server) remembers all the windows your program opened
>and keeps track of them.  We worked pretty hard to make this multiwindow
>stuff sensible.

And I, for one, thank you for that!  I just combined the more sophisticated
event handling code from the trackball example with the multiwin program
from the text, and it turned out pretty good.

>--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
>msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
>"There is much virtue in a window.  It is to a human being as a frame is to
>a painting, as a proscenium to a play.  It strongly defines its content."

Thanks for your reply, Mark!

Tom Mackey       (206) 865-6575        tomm at voodoo.boeing.com
Boeing Computer Services         ....uunet!bcstec!voodoo!tomm
M/S 7K-20,     P.O. Box 24346,     Seattle, WA     98124-0346