Serial Port Jack Test

karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU
Tue Sep 25 06:47:10 AEST 1990

How can I tell, without opening a serial port, that something is, or
is not attached to the IRIS ?

I am using ttyf* ports, and I want to make my program autoconfiguring. What
I mean is if my favorite serial gizmoid is plugged in and holding up
DSR or DTR, then go ahead and open the port. If the port is
not ready to be opened, then do something else (like use the panel library
actuators, and don't wait for data from the serial ports).

What is the best way to do this ? I have tried trial opening the port
with a timeout spec on the open, but this does not seem to work. Is there
a way to check the status bits of the USART on the line ? What is the
best way to do this and stay in unix.

dan.
.

| karron at nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |