Quick QIC question

Phil Dykstra phil at BRL.MIL
Wed Sep 12 14:04:57 AEST 1990

There are QIC numbers that refer to many things, not just the recording
format, but also the interfaces, read/write heads, ECC and Data Compression
standards, etc.  Don't worry about QIC-02 for example, it is an interface
standard.

The major recording formats you will see now are:

Recording Format     Cartridge Type    Capacity    Read Compatibility
QIC-24                 DC600A            60MB
QIC-120                DC6150           125MB        QIC-24
QIC-150                DC6150           150MB        QIC-120/QIC-24
 (or a longer tape)    DC6250           250MB

A DC600A cartridge, written in the QIC-24 format, should be readable
on any QIC-24, 120, or 150 drive.  There may however be the issue of
byte swapping (fixable with either dd conv=swab or the SGI "ns" device).

Ignore QIC-40, 80, 100, 110, 128, and 380.  I believe that these all
use a physically slightly smaller cartridge (I don't know who uses
them).  In fact these cartridges all have numbers in the DC2000's
which you mentioned seeing.

Long ago, Sun used to use QIC-11 by default (a lower density format
even than QIC-24) and /dev/rst8 would get you QIC-24.  QIC-11 is
now old enough that it no longer appears on my cheat sheet.

And the one other QIC number you asked about: QIC-36 is the Basic
Interface standard for QIC-24 format drives.

No doubt it is all designed to confuse the consumers.

- Phil