Where is kermit? (asks a new PI owner)

dave "who can do? ratmandu!" ratcliffe dave at sgi.com
Thu Sep 6 04:35:44 AEST 1990

In article <1611 at sumax.UUCP> cadwell at sumax.UUCP (James A. Cadwell) writes:
>I can't seem to locate kermit. I perform a
>"find / -name kermit -exec ls {} \;" and get zip.
>Is it an option? Machine is 4d25, IRIX 3.2.1
>
>thanks
>Jim

as i'm sure you know, kermit is public domain software from Columbia Univ.
we provide it as a courtesy but WE DO NOT SUPPORT it--Columbia does.  you
need to *manually* load the dev.sw.giftssrc subsystem off the DEVelopment
tape IF you don't already have the /usr/people/4Dgifts sample account on
yer system, wherein the kermit subdir lives underneath the ~4Dgifts home
dir.  (dev.sw.giftssrc does NOT load by default.  at some point, you need
to initially load it via manual mode inside of inst.  once you have loaded
it, it *will* be automatically updated everytime you update to the next
software or maintenance release.)  refer to yer Release and Installation
notes for an explanation of how to load the dev.sw.giftssrc subsystem using
the INST(1M) software installation tool via manual mode.

if you are not already familiar with the /usr/people/4Dgifts sample account,
it contains alot of source code examples intended to help you learn by
example how to program various GL/networking/unix/etc stuff, on the SGI 4D
family class of machines.  kermit is simply supplied as a courtesy (we got
our copy from MIT like everybody else.)  quoting from the README file in
/usr/people/4Dgifts/kermit:

                            ********************
                             KERMIT README FILE
                            ********************

The files in the directory  ~4Dgifts/kermit/src  can be used to build a version
of Kermit that will run on the Silicon Graphics IRIS 4D family of workstations.
This source was obtained from Columbia  University,  and is the version labeled
"C-Kermit, 4E(072) 24 Jan 89, AT&T System III/System V".   It  is public domain
Software and is provided  to  IRIS  user's as a courtesy.

   ************* READ THIS ***** IMPORTANT ***** READ THIS ***************
   **                                                                   **
   **  THIS directory and everything below it IS NOT SUPPORTED BY SGI.  **
   **  We provide it simply as a  courtesy  since  it is public domain  **
   **  software.  If you are having troubles with any of this software  **
   **  you  must  contact  Columbia  University  directly--do not call  **
   **  SGI's hotline--we will not be able to help you since we did not  **
   **  write any of this code.                                          **
   **                                                                   **

All other versions are available from Columbia University by means described in
great detail in the file  ~4Dgifts/kermit/doc/aaxfly.doc.   the  doc/read.me is
useful for identifying what the files that begin with "aa*" contain.

NOTE:  there  are  many other files included  in  ~4Dgifts/kermit/doc,  some of
which are not particularly useful for Unix System V based machines.   They were
not removed as it was felt they might be of potential use to certain users.

To  build  and  install  kermit  in  the  ~/4Dgifts/kermit/bin and ~4Dgifts/bin
directories, execute the following command as user 4Dgifts:

	make kermit

To install the kermit executable  and the kermit on-line man page in the system
directories perform the following steps:

        su
        make install

This will copy the kermit binary into /usr/local/bin  (as well as user 4Dgifts'
local ~/bin directory) and will install the kermit man page--doc/kermit.z--into
/usr/man/u_man/man1.  This man page is a "pre-baked" version that will work on-
line via the MAN(1) command,  even if you do not have the Laser printer (trans)
and Documenter's  Workbench  (dwb) software options installed.   See  the  file
~4Dgifts/kermit/doc/ckuker.doc if you want something that is ready to be print-
ed out on a dumb printer using LP(1) if you have not purchased the Laser Print-
er and Documenter's Workbench Options.   If you have  purchased  these options,
try something like

psroff -man ckuker.nr

to generate very pretty formatted output to your laser printer.
--
                                             daveus rattus

                                   yer friendly neighborhood ratman

                              KOYAANISQATSI

   ko.yan.nis.qatsi (from the Hopi Language)  n.  1. crazy life.  2. life
     in turmoil.  3. life out of balance.  4. life disintegrating.
     5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.