How to make serial line with modem work?

Jeremy Webber jeremy at cs.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Sep 20 15:21:25 AEST 1990

I have a Personal Iris, with a Hayes compatible modem attached to serial line
2.  I have written a program which resets the modem (using ATZ), sets up some
parameters, including the hangup-when-DTR-dropped state, then dials up a remote
computer, finally establishing an SL/IP connection to it.

All works well, using port /dev/ttyd2, except if the remote computer hangs up
the line.  The sliplogin program on this end does not appear to receive a
HANGUP signal.

I cannot use /dev/ttym2 because it won't allow itself to be opened until DCD is
asserted, and this does not happen until the remote dialup is complete.  I
can't establish the session with /dev/ttyd2, then close it and open /dev/ttym2,
because that would cause my modem to hang up, which I want to happen (this is
how the connection is terminated at my end).

Have I missed something?  How should I be doing this?

		-jeremy

Jeremy Webber			   ACSnet: jeremy at chook.ua.oz
Digital Arts Film and Television,  Internet: jeremy at chook.ua.oz.au
60 Hutt St, Adelaide 5001,	   Voicenet: +61 8 223 2430
Australia			   Papernet: +61 8 272 2774 (FAX)