IRIX fsck

Frank Perdicaro frank at contex.UUCP
Mon Sep 24 23:31:22 AEST 1990

   We resell SGI hardware.   Some of our customers run their 4D25s three
shifts, all week.  Occasionally, there will be some condition that causes
a file system corruption.  Our customers are generally too IRIX uninformed
to understand or detect what has happened.
   As IRIX is currently constructed, fsck is run infrequently.  It would
be a great service to us, and probably some others, if some nice, somewhat
standard interface, like /etc/chkconfig, could be used to enable or disable
auto-fsck on restart.
   More specifically, a program could be written that explictly sets the
dirty bit in the superblock for a specific filesystem.  A wrapper could be
written around this to call it for each file system in /etc/fstab as the
system is going down.  This process could be enabled|disables with
a /etc/autoconfig alwaysfsck on|off.
   Yes, I could write this in a short period of time.  I may yet.  I would
like to see SGI write and support it, esecially with the advent of logical
volumes.  ( Logical volumes are nice; they are easy to construct, faster
than normal normal file systems, and generally large enough for real work. )

   Does anybody else see this need?  I am always happy to see my 3100s
running fsck, and in my experience, it is run too infrequently on the
4d2x machines.  For the underinformed owner/user, every bit helps.

--
	Frank E Perdicaro, Systems Admin, etc.		Xyvision Design Systems
   LEGALIZE Guns, drugs and cash...today.		101 Edgewater Drive