emacs : commercial vs free

karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU
Sat Sep 29 08:58:01 AEST 1990

Richard Stallzman (spelling) just received a McArthur Foundation "Genius"
grant award of about 4-500,000.00 dollars for his effort as the Free Software
Foundation.

I expect that we can see more good works, improvements, and fixes to emacs
and their other freeware.

I wrote Unipress (emacs at unipress.com) and their owner, Fred Pack
(fhp at unipress.com) some time ago about their plans, and they have not replied.
I doubt that they are even listening.

I don't think that it is wise for sgi to sell unipress emacs, especially since
it works so poorly on such a good machine.

My impression is that you can not buy, sell, or commercialize the spirit
of unix and c software development, no matter how many drone programmers
you hire and beat code out of. Alls we need is a good free database system,
but then you can use unix itself for that.

Post free or die !

| karron at nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| Please Note :Soon to move to dan at karron.med.nyu.edu 128.122.135.3  (Mid Oct)|