NeWS can't find host information for "cinnamon"

Todd Tenenholz todd at mljsg.pharm.Virginia.EDU
Tue Sep 11 04:08:43 AEST 1990

In article <2356 at idunno.Princeton.EDU> sullivan at math.Princeton.EDU (John M. Sullivan) writes:
>I was trying to put a new Iris on our network, and copied a bunch of
>files over from one of our other machines to get yp set up right, etc.
>yp does now seem to work, but somehow I broke NeWS.
>
>If I log in on the console now (without NOGRAPHICS), I get a message
>(too quickly to read it) about the window server dying with status 1.
>If I run /bin/news_server by hand, it says:
>NeWS can't find host information for "cinnamon"

   About 4 mos. ago, I had a similar problem when I tried to get my 120/GTX
hooked up to a domain nameserver (We don't run yp). The console would crash
with the error "Network protection violation". SGI informed me that IRIX 3.1x
has a bug that does not allow the window system to start if the query for
localhost does not come back 127.0.0.0. I know you have this set, but it may
still be worth looking into. Hope this helps.

--
Todd Tenenholz, Molecular Graphics Facility, U. Md. at Batimore.
Internet: todd at sg.ab.umd.edu