NeWS can't find host information for "cinnamon"

John M. Sullivan sullivan at bean.princeton.edu
Sat Sep 8 10:42:12 AEST 1990

I was trying to put a new Iris on our network, and copied a bunch of
files over from one of our other machines to get yp set up right, etc.
yp does now seem to work, but somehow I broke NeWS.

If I log in on the console now (without NOGRAPHICS), I get a message
(too quickly to read it) about the window server dying with status 1.
If I run /bin/news_server by hand, it says:
NeWS can't find host information for "cinnamon"

The file /etc/hosts and the yp hosts database both contain proper entries
for cinnamon (128.112.16.70) and for localhost.  The networking is working
fine--nfs, yp, rlogin, ftp all are happy.

There doesn't seem to be a trace command on the iris like on the sun
to see what news_server is doing.  'strings' wasn't much help either.
Does anyone know what "host info" it is looking for where?

Thanks,
John Sullivan
sullivan at math.princeton.edu
John M. Sullivan	Princeton Univ. Math Dept.  sullivan at math.princeton.edu