SGI's migration to X

David R. Blythe drb at eecg.toronto.edu
Fri Sep 7 07:53:01 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep6.010419.1573 at odin.corp.sgi.com> msc at sgi.com writes:

>Even if it's possible, we don't recommend doing it.  Trying to image into
>the same window using both X and the GL raises a bunch of nasty issues of
>which one of the nastiest is synchronizing the drawing.  Has the GL finished
>drawing this polygon so I can have X draw this line?  Who's on first so to
>speak. Ugh!!

It would be really really really really nice if whatever X toolkit/UIMS/etc
gets fobbed off on me (i.e. Motif,OpenLook) also works with GL graphics.
That is to say, I want to learn *one* subroutine library for popups,
pulldowns, radio knobs, other crap that can be used in both a GL window and an
X window.  This would seem like a good reason to have X requests and GL
requests work together, rather than making a GL version of the same library.
If a client is local can't it use the same direct paths to the hardware as GL
(i.e. have X built on top of or in conjunction with GL (either through the
X server, or bypassing it when possible) rather than a separate
entity)?  Remote requests would have to go through a serializer, so the remote
guy may pay some performance penalty in extra overhead but it seems worth it
to keep the local stuff fast and integrated.
	drb at clsc.utoronto.ca