A problem with xhost?

dixons%phvax.dnet at SMITHKLINE.COM dixons%phvax.dnet at SMITHKLINE.COM
Mon Sep 17 12:30:21 AEST 1990

Tony Facca (fsfacca at avelon.lerc.nasa.gov) writes:
>I have a question about the xhost program.  Actually, what I am trying to do
>is use toolchest to open xterm clients on remote machines.  Under 3.2
>this worked just fine.  I do an "xhost remote_host" and follow that up
>with "rsh remote_host xterm -display local_host:0" [basically]
>
>Anyway, I now have 3.3 running on several of the systems and this method no
>longer works.  I think its a problem with xhost as evidenced by the following:
[etc]
I have noticed a similar problem with gettin xhost to pay attention to
commands.  It seems to respond OK but then forgets what you tell it.  It
occured to me that maybe I needed to have the X server up and running
before using xhost so I started up xclock and then tried xhost.  That
solved the problem for me.  I don't think that this is the behaviour under
3.2 but seems to happen under 3.3.  Also, I haven't gone back to see if
the xhost changes are remembered after you log out or not.
See if that works for you.
Scott Dixon (dixons at smithkline.com)