rpc.{statd,lockd} problems

Scott R. Presnell srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Fri Sep 28 10:11:11 AEST 1990

I am having problems with statd and lockd in a local network of SGIs
(4D'/20G running 3.3.1). There are also sun sparcs on the same local net.
Without running rpc.statd and rpc.lockd everything is fine.

I've narrowed it down to this:

Two hosts running both statd and lockd (checked registration with rpcinfo).
The /usr/mail direcory is on host A, I am on host B (no MX records in the
nameserver entry). /usr/mail is NFS mounted onto host B.

I send mail to myself on host B.  I don't get it.  "mail" process exists but
isn't going anywhere (appear stuck).

There's a lock file for me (srp.lock) in the mail directory.

On host B (babar) the SYSLOG says:

Sep 27 16:21:21 babar unix: lock-manager: RPC error: Can't decode result

On host A (celeste) the SYSLOG repeats until process death:

Sep 27 17:03:45 celeste rpc.lockd[3673]: cannot contact local statd
Sep 27 17:03:45 celeste rpc.lockd[3673]: req discard due to status monitor problem

(rpc.statd is indeed running on this host and is rpc registered)

Has anyone else experienced this sort of a problem?  Can anyone provide a
clue?

	Thanks for your help.

	- Scott
--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp at cgl.ucsf.edu
University of California			UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp
San Francisco, CA. 94143-0446			Bitnet: srp at ucsfcgl.bitnet