Amd5.3 ported to IRIX 3.3.1

Dana Treadwell dana at tread.sgi.com
Fri Sep 28 14:21:32 AEST 1990

Re: Direct maps

Right, the automounter in the IRIX 3.3.x release doesn't support the use
of direct maps. This would have required a major change to the IRIX file
system code that we chose not to make. (We will be supporting direct maps
in a future release.) On the other hand, you can do everything via indirect
maps (which has the advantage that it avoids "mount storms", where a poorly
positioned 'ls' causes all of your automounts to happen).

Re: Killing your automounter

A "killed" automounter will act like a dead nfs server. If your automounter
is out-of-sync with the current contents of /etc/mtab, you can bring it up
to date by sending it a SIGHUP. If you really feel the need to kill your
automounter, send it a SIGTERM so that it can die semi-gracefully.

    Dana Treadwell
    dana at sgi.com